Thursday 5 June 2008

KFC goes vegan?



Kentucky Fried Chicken Canada has announced that they will introduce faux-chicken onto their menu in 461 of their stores.

Of course, deep-fried battered tofu in a bucket is not necessarily a healthy choice but it's an interesting move on the part of the company. One that's making PETA happy. The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has decided to call off their 5 year battle with the company as a result of this decision and due to the fact that KFC Canada has agreed to purchase their chickens from slaughterhouses that gas their chickens- supposedly the least cruel killing method.

So far, KFC worldwide's parent company is refusing to make similar changes.


I probably won't be trying out their new fake chicken but it does offer more choice for vegetarians and for people thinking about trying it out. Let me know if you get a chance to try it once it comes out!

Thanks for sending me this story James!

Sources:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080604.wxlkfc04/BNStory/lifeFoodWine/home http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=d685f392-8d5d-4400-8b4c-6224b448401f

1 comment:

ingy said...

I don't think it's going to work... As a vegetarian, I won't even step foot in a KFC so I don't see any vegetarian supporting them... I don't think PETA should stop fighting either.