" I made grilled portobello burgers with homemade whole wheat buns, pesto, provolone and roasted red peppers. Hope you don't mind".
A Gastrosexual: A person that cooks as a hobby and uses his/her culinary skills to impress friends and potential love interests. The British Daily Mail looked at a report, the 'Emergence of the Gastrosexual', published by the food company PurAsia. Here are the highlights:
- Gastrosexuals are typically: Male, aged 25-44 and upwardly-mobile.
- The tension between cooking and masculinity has been resolved- it is now perfectly acceptable for men to show a passion for food.
- Key motivations for the Gastrosexual: Self-actualization (cooking as a passion), cooking for praise and cooking to impress and even seduce potential partners.
- 23% of 18-24 year old men say they cook to potentially seduce a partner
- 48% of people say being able to cook makes a person more attractive to them
- In 1961, women spent 10 times as much time in the kitchen as men did. By 2005, although women remained the primary cooks, men started helping out a bit more- women spent only 2 times more time in the kitchen as men did.
- The increase in the number of women working full time post-war has contributed to the rise of the Gastrosexual male.
- 50% of the men surveyed prepared meals using separate ingredients everyday, spending an average of 41 minutes in the kitchen a day.