Tuesday 4 May 2010

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution


Hi!

Did you watch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution?
I caught a few shows- the premise was that Oliver, a British chef who has successfully changed the British food program, went to Huntington, West Virginia, the unhealthiest city in America with nearly half of adults considered obese, to start a revolution:

Teach children what food is, and adults how to cook it,
Change the food that's fed to children in schools (french fries are considered a vegetable, pizza is served for breakfast, utensils are unknown),
Make the school system understand the importance of feeding children healthy food as part of their education,
Make people more aware of what they're eating and where their food comes from.

Sure, this is a British guy coming to America, basically telling people they're unhealthy and need to change... on tv. Motives may seem questionable.
The results of the school "intervention", based on answers from students, teachers, and cooks, weren't that great either:
77% students didn't like the food (66% did try it though), removing sugary, flavoured milk resulted in a 25% decrease in milk consumption, cooks had to work harder, and the food cost more.

Regardless, isn't the message such an important one?

It'll be interesting to see what will happen now that the TV crews are gone.
Will this revolution catch on?

Want to support it? (I did!).
Click here to sign the petition.

Below is the trailor of the show- in case you missed it, it's a great overview.
I also included one of my favourite scenes- a Food Flash Mob (flash mob: creating an unusual experience in a normal place)!


Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution- Trailer



Jamie Oliver's Food Flash Mob

2 comments:

chow and chatter said...

oh I love him hope its affects are long lasting though and no worries on not visiting my blog for a while its hard to keep up with it lol

Rebecca

Ben Hébert said...

Hey Sybil!

I am currently doing my DEC final project and I am doing it on obesity. The paper is talking about the causes and what are the most valuable solutions for it. I was wondering if you could take a look at it and if you have some things to add (I know you did research on the subject...''thin gene'') it would be really appreciated! I'd just need your e-mail to send it to you!

Thanks!

Ben